Email has quickly become the preferred method of communication for pitching in public relations. In fact, did you know that 64 percent of journalists prefer PR pros to follow up on pitches via email? Since PR pros are constantly sending and receiving emails, however, keeping a clean inbox can become tough. Fortunately, there are resources that can solve this issue.
For example, FollowUpThen is a free and easy email reminder tool that allows you to clean up your inbox, shorten your to-do list and never forget another follow-up.
Here’s how FollowUpThen works:
Compose an email and include [any time]@followupthen.com in the “CC”, “Bcc” or “To” fields*. The functionality for each placement is different. If the followupthen email is included in the Bcc field, you will receive a follow-up regarding the email, but the original recipient won’t. If included in the To field, a reminder email will be sent to your future self. And if included in the CC field a reminder will be scheduled for you and the other recipients on the thread.
*You must sign up for an account at www.followupthen.com before this will work.
Here are some examples of how you can use FollowUpThen to schedule follow-ups:
Specific Time of Day
Follows up on the next occurrence of the specified time.
Specific Date and Time
Day of Week
Unique Days of Month
Handy Scheduling Terms
- everyMonday9amfirstname.lastname@example.org (includes a text message)
There are endless possibilities. FollowUpThen allows users to input about any combination of time, hour, day, week, month, or year.
Benefits of FollowUpThen:
- Because FollowUpThen is email-based, it can work pretty much anywhere you are.
- There is a free version, but you can purchase additional features.
- A 30-day free trial is included on all plans.
- Response detection will cancel reminders if a reply has been received to avoid unneeded follow-ups.
- Premium users can add “-sms” to their followups to receive a text message reminder.
- Tasks can be created for yourself or for someone else by adding “-t” to the end of a follow up time and including it in the correct field.
- Calendar integration allows premium users to view their upcoming follow-ups.
- Follow-ups can be edited or canceled at anytime.
For example, if you’re a PR professional waiting for a piece of coverage and the publication asks to follow up in a few weeks, you can easily set a reminder. Simply forward the email to email@example.com and you’ll be reminded just in time. Visit www.FollowUpThen.com to learn more.